Friday, December 21, 2007

Aint I A Women?

Aint I a woman?A found poem from Sojourner Truth's most famous speech, adapted into poetic form by Erlene Stetson click here to see the full text of the speech, in non-poem format.
That man over there say a woman needs to be helped into carriagesand lifted over ditches and to have the best place everywhere.Nobody ever helped me into carriages or over mud puddles or gives me a best place. . .
And ain't I a woman? Look at me Look at my arm! I have plowed and plantedand gathered into barns and no man could head me. . . And ain't I a woman? I could work as muchand eat as much as a man-- when I could get to it--and bear the lash as well and ain't I a woman?I have born 13 children and seen most all sold into slaveryand when I cried out a mother's grief none but Jesus heard me. . .and ain't I a woman? that little man in black there saya woman can't have as much rights as a man cause Christ wasn't a womanWhere did your Christ come from? From God and a woman!Man had nothing to do with him! If the first woman God ever madewas strong enough to turn the world upside down, all alone together women ought to be able to turn it rightside up again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say thank you for being a powerful black woman and mother. Have faith and keep strong