Thursday, February 28, 2013

BOOK: "One Day My Soul Just Opened Up" by Inyanla Vanzant

Over the next 40 days i am working through Iyanla Vanzant's book "One Day My Soul Just Opened up". Each day we study 40 spiritual principles. I'm on day 4 now which is meditation. And i must admit that the way many eastern philosophies and new agers put meditation has the "christian" in me scared. The christian in me that i am trying to ignore. I am trying to be open minded to certain things. I say "i am not a christian" and "i do not agree with christian doctrine"....at the end of the day when it comes down to it......there are cerain things i just wont fuck with. i guess just to be on the safe side, and this type of "mind emptying" meditation is one of them. In christianity the fear is , reaching the type of awareness where god is, is dangerous because humans are not supposed to be there. Also , growing up a Jehovah's Witness i was taught that this type of meditation emties your mind , therefore leaving u open for demon possession and demons overtaking your mind. and I KNOW THIS IS SILLY and just a scare tactic.....but i'm having a hard time letting it go. OH! one more thing. i was speaking with my mother in law earlier in the week about this book....and she said "GIRL! THAT BOOK! Thats how i broke my leg the first time!" The story goes: she was working through this book some years back. she got to day four (meditation) and was trying to do this mind emptying meditation and ended up falling asleep. well, she was scared out of this deep meditative sleep by her her son knocking on the door and when she went to get up she broke her leg. what do i do?? i dont want to be scared of anything

No comments: